Founded in 1802 in New York City and incorporated in 1808, this entity was originally called the New York Academy of the Fine Arts.
In 1816, exhibitions were begun, and the next year the name was changed to the American Academy of the Fine Arts. John Trumbull served as president from 1817 to 1835. In 1839, fire destroyed the Academy building, and by 1841, the association was terminated.
Mary Bartlett Cowdrey’s book “American Academy of Fine Arts” has a listing of members including Thomas Cole, Eastman Johnson, Martin Johnson Heade, George Caleb Bingham, Sanford Gifford, Thomas Doughty and Henry Inman.